Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wanderlust


"Escapism, we are led to believe, is evidence of a deficiency in character, a certain failure of temperament, and like so many -isms, it is to be strenuously avoided. How do you expect to get ahead? people ask. But the question altogether misses the point. The escapist doesn’t want to get ahead. He simply wants to get away." J. Maarten Troost Getting Stoned with Savages

One thing I’ve heard from family and friends quite a bit after telling them of my plan to move to Spain is "Oh that’s great! Get it out of your system. Do it while you’re young. Then you can come back and settle down" As if wanting to travel was a sickness that has to be purged. An uncomfortable wanderlust that will go away with time, then real life can begin.

From what I’ve seen of the adult world in the six months since I graduated, I’m not sure I ever want it to.
Right now I work for the Florida House of Representatives, editing legislature and bills for the Clerk. In my time here I’ve come away with three important life lessons that have helped solidify the idea that I’m just not cut out for the real world.
1. You can have a considerable amount of mimosas on your lunch break and still function. For those of you who don’t know the sweet ambrosia that is a mimosa, let me enlighten you. A mimosa is an ingenious alcohol delivery system that is both acceptable as a midday drink and can pack a nice punch. Perfect for smoothing over the rough edges of your day and leaving you feeling flushed, smiling, and amicable to surly co-workers.

2. If you position your back at the correct angle to your cubicle door you can catch a quick 15 minute nap while appearing to be diligently poring over reports.

3. Upon entering a government building, don’t ever feign a look of nervousness, clutch your bag and slowly back away as the police officer ushers you through the metal detector. They tend not to have the greatest sense of humor.
Call me immature. I prefer to believe that life should be fun, exciting, and interesting. And if wanderlust is a disease, I’d rather not be cured.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment